Saturday, January 23, 2016

Creative Practice 2

  Tissue Collage



                                                                                     


Top photo: White tissue paper stained with a tea bag in a bowl of water.





Middle Photo: Instead of the tea bag watercolor ink was integrated into the process along with metallic paint and liquid glue . 









Bottom photo: Tea bag processing again used along with colored strips of tissue paper and liquid glue .










This is another project ideal for any skill level, involving elements of transparency, color blends and desire to create. It's a project that I will pass on to the Age Well Institute. The elders should love doing this activity.

This afternoon  I had a friend call me with a quote and wanted to process it with me "Unused Creativity is not benign." Berene' Brown. So we both exchanged what we thought it might mean. She said she often got restless and bored even when she had plenty to do and did I think this was a sign that she needed to tap into her creativity?  I shared with her that when feeling that way picking up my paint brush and painting always made a new person out of me. It seems to center my thoughts and improves my problem solving skills.

The very next day I viewed a video on you tube about Vulnerability posted by a cohort and referencing  again Berene' Brown. After such a coincidence I decided to explore the search engine to further check out this person Berene' Brown, so I entered the quote "Creativity isn't Benign" and this blog popped up which gave me even more things to consider as I look back in my own life as a young Mother, thinking creativity is the best tool a Mother has. Mutually satisfactory results to both Mother and Child . Read below and see if you agree?

APR 3, 2013

“Unused creativity isn’t benign. It metastasizes.”So said Brené Brown in her amazing interview on Oprah as she explained that wholehearted people cultivate creativity.

Brené went on to say that wholehearted people also cultivate meaningful work. This work doesn’t have to pay the bills (though if yours does, that’s awesome). It’s the work that’s satisfying, not the money it brings in. To illustrate her point, Brené referenced a CPA-by-day who makes jewelry at night, and sells it on Etsy.

When I heard these words, I couldn’t help but think about the women I’ve sat down with or chatted with or exchanged emails with–just in the past two weeks! They’ve thrown around big words like Calling. Mission. Purpose. Giftedness.

Many of these women have been stay-at-home moms, and they’ve shared different versions of the same story: I love my kids but I need something else, too. I don’t know how to make that happen. Help me figure it out.

And so many of them feel guilty for wanting this.

Listening to Brené, I wonder if some women are gifted in such a way that they use their creativity–I mean really use it–as stay-at-home moms. Those big words–calling, mission, purpose, giftedness–find expression in that role.

And I wonder if some women just aren’t.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this. If wholehearted living requires cultivating creativity, then are you finding an outlet for yours? Are you using your gifts? Do you need to find a way to use them?

Thanks for making this a safe place for me to think out loud. I’m looking forward to a great discussion in comments. 

Books mentioned in this post:

 Brené dives deeper into the subject of creativity in her book The Gifts of Imperfection.

Reference:   http://modernmrsdarcy.com/unused-creativity-isnt-benign-it-metastasizes/
“Unused Creativity Isn’t Benign. It Metastasizes.”http://

No comments:

Post a Comment