Sunday, February 22, 2015

Week 7 Health Issue

What Is Clinical Depression and can the arts provide an escape?

 

Most people feel sad or low at some point in their lives. But clinical depression is marked by a depressed mood most of the day, particularly in the morning, and a loss of interest in normal activities and relationships -- symptoms that are present every day for at least 2 weeks. Major depression affects about 6.7% of the U.S. population over age 18, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Overall, between 20% and 25% of adults may suffer an episode of major depression at some point during their lifetime.

Almost twice as many women as men have major or clinical depression; hormonal changes may increase the risk. Other factors that boost the risk of clinical depression are situational such as increased stress at home or at work, balancing family life with career, raising a child alone, and caring for an aging parent. Environmental factors may also play a part in depression such as weather circumstances , traffic and reduced lighting conditions .

Micheal Samuels,MD & Mary Rockwood Lane, RN,PHD provides in the book, Healing with the Arts a 12 week approach to life enhancement . The idea is to set up a regimen for healing. This special time creates an opportunity to nurture self by activation of creative hormones which in turn stimulate a healthier brain function.

Mary suffered a clinical depression and used art to heal herself. She describes painting self-portraits during a very low point in her life. After both medical and art interventions she reviewed the paintings with a more objective mindset and concluded that the paintings actually indicated the transformation of her mood. The first painting depicted a withdrawn almost fetal position of self as she improved the posture and eye contact in the paintings also became more alive

Here are some excerpts from Mary's story:

Several years ago, I rediscovered the artist within and used art to heal myself. I was extremely ill at the time and going through a very difficult divorce. I was outraged, depressed and out of control. My support network had collapsed and everything was being taken away from me. Surrounded by my grief, I felt like I was drowning in darkness and despair. Therapy wasn’t helping. Finally my therapist said, “It’s time for you to do something different with your rage and your grief.”

As I immersed myself in painting, I not only became well, but clearly became the artist I had always wanted to be. I remember the moment that I truly felt empowered as an artist. I experienced a sudden shift and encountered something within that was healing. There was an aspect of me that rejuvenated my spirit and I began to feel stronger and more alive. By seeing my pain on canvas, I could step away from it.

I was the artist; my pain was the art. And I was free. (Lane,2013)
Mary’s first and last self-portrait in the series can be viewed at this site. http://maryrockwoodlane.com/gallery/gallery.html


References

Micheal Samuels,MD & Mary Rockwood Lane, RN,PHD, 2013, Healing with the Arts,Beyond Words Publishing Inc., New York

Your brain on improv. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/charles_limb_your_brain_on_improv

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/major-depression#1









No comments:

Post a Comment